2:37 AM

Saddam...

You can read more about him here, but here are my thoughts.

At a time were the US was shaken to its core from the largest terrorism attack on our soil we were left grasping for meaning, answers, and revenge. President Bush received more support and his approval rating skyrocketed through the roof with his leadership during the crises. Shortly after Americans began to pull themselves together our sights were set on Iraq, and most notably, Saddam. An Iraq invasion that led to him being dragged out of a hole in the middle of nowhere, recently he was hung.

When you think about what goes on emotionally during this process, it confuses logic. Saddam was convicted not even 60 days ago, today he is dead. This had made me think allot about the situation lately. Many times in America prisoners sit in cells for the better parts of their lives waiting to be executed, Saddam had less than two months. Don't get me wrong I am not grieving for him...they described the execution in one article and someone was making fun of him as he was getting ready to be hung and he said 'Go to hell!', as far as we know those are his last words....I think that shows us a little about his character. Can you imagine you are being led up to a platform looking around seeing everyone, you get up to the platform to meet 3-4 guys in black hoods, someone puts a rope around your neck and then blindfolds you. A couple seconds go by and you instantly fall to your death.

What kind of thoughts are going through your head, what kind of fears? What kind of emptiness? In one of the article I was reading they said he had 400 of the top leaders in his nation come to a meeting where he claimed there was a plot to over through him and he read there names out loud and people came in the room and arrested and killed the people as he read their names....What were those people thinking? Later it was found out there was no plot...except for Saddam to be able to execute his top challengers.

I think about the death penalty and question the morality of it and I am very strong in my stance on it right now...I am completely for it in most cases, I think anyone who intentionally kills 5 or more needs to pay for it and it needs to be carrier our quicker than it is, but I am not sure about people who kill fewer than people, I think it depends on the heinousness of the crime. This stance though....does not prevent me from contemplating the tragedy of death and the death penalty and what those people go through.

Anyone who hates, anyone who is so evil as to look at someone begging for mercy and kill them anyway, anyone who murders the defenseless, or who gets a high from killing, those people need to be rid of. This is were my faith makes things hard because the price has already been paid, still I am definitely for the death penalty. The less of these people who are in the world the better...still, does the evil go away or just the person?

This event, this place in time with Saddam being hung will forever be recorded in history and we are experiencing it right now...I guarantee the more you know about Saddam the more you will see his death as justified, but is always think about the mindset of the person dying. Whether its a person who was the killer, like Saddam, or the people he killed and there terror they experienced. I can't handle it long, but I can't not think about it. I feel sorry for Saddam, the emotional turmoil he experienced, but he made choices and those choices have consequences. Did you know this guy was worth approximately 7B when he died? Yes that's a 'B' as in billion. This was a guy who saw himself as untouchable and got his way with what he wanted, he enjoyed playing God. And now he has met Him...and it's to late.



Regular lurks feel free to comment...
blog comments powered by Disqus