11:10 PM

Home is where the heart is...

On my way home from a basketball game tonight I began to think about my time in Missouri, and one of the thoughts I was having is about how we have adapted and that where we are, live, travel, shop, etc is becoming normal, it's becoming home. This made me start to ponder about what defines home for us. Until our last trip to Indiana I would have said that Indiana was home, now I think that Missouri is home. Indiana is where I am from, and were friends and family live, but i also have friends and a community that live in Missouri now.


I think that this subtle difference that God has changed internally has freed me in many ways, I think after this experience, being here in Missouri and working for Doulos, that I could live just about anywhere in the states and be OK with it. I think my home can be anywhere (God, if your listening I still don't like snow...) if you notice I said I could be about anywhere in the states...It will take more growing and developing to leave the US. I really do like it here, and I don't ever want to harden my heart to leaving, because that's about the time God will ask me to go...


I like this internal change that's happened, I would be sad to not be around some of the people that we have gotten to know. Their are many that we would leave behind, but I would also look forward to meeting the next group of people that God would have to impact our lives. I think that Autumn would feel differently about this, but I am OK with that.



A final thought, Rich Mullins sang a song about Jesus having no where to call home, Jesus even said in Matthew 8:20


Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."


I think to some degree we need to be like Jesus and have our home be in Heaven, our home on earth is where His will is for us at the moment we are there, but when His will for us moves on we need our hearts to allow where we call home to move on also. I guess that's why I was thinking about this, I think that for the first time home isn't a geographical location for me anymore, as much as it is where we are right now.

blog comments powered by Disqus